Scrum Tool Home

Online Scrum Software Development Blog

Digg This! Post on Facebook! Post on Yahoo! Post on Reddit Post on Delicious Stumble This! Tweet This! Post on Google

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Beware of the Meltdown: A CSP Shares Her Meltdown Stories and Tips for Avoiding Your Own

By Carrie Schonhoff

It happens when you least expect it. At some point when a Scrum team is just forming (despite training, agreeing on team rules, and doing some team building), most teams experience a meltdown. The good news is that once the meltdown has passed, these same teams really start to understand the Scrum framework. 

From Fear to Trust

This phenomenon is not unique to Scrum. I think it happens to all of us when faced with a change that we are not prepared for. I remember when my company changed its health insurance coverage and doubled the premium. I had a meltdown!  I started thinking, “How could this happen?” “I had no idea!” “Why do we have to pay that much?” Once I talked to a couple of people and commiserated with them, I began to accept the fact that I had no choice and this was the way it was going to be from now on. I moved on. After I got over the initial shock, the changes from Human Resources didn’t seem as harsh – I understood that changes to benefits were a given.

This is how it is with Scrum. We often react defensively as a kneejerk reaction to the changes Scrum brings. It challenges the way we’ve thought about not only projects, but how we have worked in the past as well. We're forced to confront the big picture we’ve been sheltered from, yet we find it hard to see it clearly. We aren't sure how to problem-solve. And now that no one is feeding us our tasks, we are supposed to think of what to do on our own. It can be overwhelming. 

Continue reading this article.