Scrum Tool Home

Online Scrum Software Development Blog

Digg This! Post on Facebook! Post on Yahoo! Post on Reddit Post on Delicious Stumble This! Tweet This! Post on Google

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Go with the Workflow: Focus on process instead of definitions to help new teams deal with product backlog items

By Henri Stegehuis

I love my work. Implementing Scrum is fantastic. Every company I work with has different processes and cultures. Coaching teams in this drastic new approach we call Scrum is always fun (afterwards). Working with people, breaking traditional patterns in common sense, creating a physical/visible presence, and fostering honest communication is a roller-coaster experience. Every team is unique, every time surprising me with interesting reactions and sometimes unexpected results.

In the past, some of these unexpected results have sprung from my attempts to explain the concept of a product backlog item (PBI). For teams raised in traditional development, the ins and outs of product backlog items can be difficult to grasp. When I talked with these teams about PBIs, I made the mistake of going into too much detail too early. I would start with the definition, explaining that a PBI is "up to half of an A4 page describing a requested feature from a market point of view." This, while a correct description, opened the floodgates for the skeptics and perfectionists within the team, who asserted that there was no way they could write a complete product backlog item in that amount of space. We would get off track, and it would take me some time before I could refocus the team.

Continue reading this article.